Below is the procedure for doing the painting works for internal painting. This safe work method statement for painting is developed for general purpose and can be customized as required. Below tools are required:
- Spray Gun
- Painting Rollers
- Painting Brush
- Putty knifes
- Abrasive Paper
- Mobile scaffolds
SAFETY & HEALTH REQUIREMENTS
- All employees shall be provided with complete personal Protection equipment PPE.
- All employees shall attend Safety Induction and training Course to identify all Hazards associated with this work.
- All workers shall be provided with proper tools and equipment to execute the work safely.
- MSDS (material safety data sheet) shall be displayed at work location as appropriate
- Work on height should be properly managed and use of ladders shall be restricted.
- Check materials, paint system and subcontractors are approved by the Engineer.
- Delivered paint materials shall be checked the following things:
- Expiry date, original labeled containers, manufacturer’s name, type of paint, brand name, color designation and instructions for mixing and/or reducing.
- Material shall be stored in a cool, well ventilated and dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- Ensure necessary MEP clearance obtained from concerned departments.
- The parts not to be painted are protected prior to commence of painting works.
- Before commencement of work, remove electrical switch and outlet plates, surface hardware, frames of lighting fixtures and all the other obstructions and replace properly at completion of the work.
- Mock Samples will be prepared in the designated area for the CONSULTANT approval using the correct material, number of coats, colour, texture and degree of gloss required.
- The Surfaces to receive painting shall be free from all loose particles and prepared as per manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Painting work shall not proceed in windy and rainy climate.
- Proper working platforms and lighting arrangement shall be provided.
- Scaffolding and working platform shall be checked against safety.
- All materials must be collected and returned to the designated storage area after working hours and properly secured and locked.
Preparation For Painting Works
- Prior commencing, clean floors and adjacent surfaces, as well as surfaces to be painted.
- Surface shall be sound, clean, dry and free from all defective or poorly adhering materials, dirt, grease etc.
- Defects in the plastered surfaces will be repaired using approved patching compound or plaster and flush with adjoining surface, when dry, smooth and seal the patch before application of priming coat.
- Cement plastered surfaces shall be rubbed down with rubbing stone or approved method and cleaned of dust and all foreign matter before application of primer
- Fill any nail holes and similar defect after primer coat has been applied.
- In case of high alkali conditions, wash the surface to neutralize the alkali.
- Wire-brush concrete and masonry surfaces.
- In case area to be painted is having any existing coating, it should be cleaned, sanded and primed with the approved primer. All loose existing coating should be removed prior to application of primer.
Application Of Painting
All liquid paints shall be thoroughly stirred to a uniform consistency.
- Thinning and mix ratio shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Apply paint under adequate illumination.
- The primer shall be applied as per manufacturer’s recommendation with correct thickness required.
- All priming and filler shall be rubbed down to a smooth surface with fine abrasive paper and cleaned off all dust before the application of next coat.
- Materials shall be evenly spread and applied smoothly without runs or sags, by skilled workers.
- Care shall be taken to avoid brush marks, sags and other defects.
- All coats of paint shall be allowed to dry before subsequent coats and rubbed down with fine waterproof abrasive paper where necessary.
- Top coat shall be applied as per the manufacturer’s recommendation and Engineer’s approval.
- Spilled, splashed, or spattered paint shall be removed as work proceeds and upon completion.
- Apply required number of coats as per specification and manufacturer’s recommendation.