You can follow below simple steps for installing the split units on any project. These are general guidelines and can be used to prepare professional method statements for approvals and pre-qualification purposes. Mostly other sections should be included in the documents i.e. scope, responsibility and other resources including the method of safe working in the form of risk assessment of job safety analysis etc.
Before installation of split units make sure below tools are provided so that the work can be completed without interruption.
- Mechanical Tool Box
- Measuring Tape
- Hack Saw Frame
- Drill Machine with concrete bits 6mm to 16 mm
- Anchor Bolts
- Cutting wheel
All the materials & equipment i.e. split units received at site will be inspected before accepting and any discrepancies or damages should be notified and reported to concerned authority for further action i.e. rejection or concession etc. Any materials found not complying the specification and suitable for site use will be removed from site immediately.
Competent staff should be allowed to work on site and necessary training should be done before starting the work.
Unloading and storage of split units shall be done carefully by using necessary manpower / shifting or lifting machinery / equipment to ensure that no damage is caused to the equipment.
Installation Sequence of Split Units
- Prepare proper supports as per approved details and ensure split units are installed in level and plumb.
- Install evaporator-fan components using manufacturer’s standard mounting devices securely fastened to building structure.
- Install ground mounted, compressor condenser components on polyethylene mounting base.
- Install roof-mounted, compressor-condenser components on equipment supports specified in specifications.
- Install seismic restraints.
- Install suspending compressor-condenser components on restrained, spring isolators with a minimum static deflection of 1 inch (25 mm) or as per approved material for a specific site.
- Install and connect pre-charged refrigerant tubing to component’s quick-connect fittings. Install tubing to allow access to unit.
- Make connections to the refrigerant piping as per drawings indicating general arrangement of piping, fittings, and specialties. Where piping is installed adjacent to unit, allow space for future service and maintenance of unit.
- In general if not indicated, connect piping with union and shutoff valves to allow units to be disconnected without draining piping.
- Perform a pressure test and get necessary approvals from authorities/parties.