Batteries, fuel & auxiliary power must be isolated before carrying out initial inspection.
Ensure that the control switch is in the OFF position and emergency switch is pressed. Ensure that the panel has the correct fascia and labels.
Note: All test sheets containing test values shall be forwarded to concern parties for records
All round check of the genset to ensure that no loose items e.g. nuts, bolts, washers etc are lying in, or around the equipment. Such items are to be removed as they pose a hazard to safety.
A careful check of the interior of the alternator terminal box to ensure that no loose objects are lying within.
Ensure the load circuit breaker is in open position (if fitted).
A careful check of the interior of the control panel to confirm that wiring termination is correct and that no loose clippings, cable lengths, nuts etc remain in the control panel from manufacturer.
A careful check of the engine exhaust manifold to ensure that no unplugged apparatuses exist.
Ensure the lubricating oil to the full mark on the dipstick.
Fill the engine with required coolant mixture i.e. anti-freeze, rust inhibitor.
Ensure all coolant systems are properly bled during filling.
Check engine air intake and exhaust system for blockage.
Ensure that sufficient unrestricted air circulation is available in the genset room without recirculation.
Ensure that sufficient space is available around the genset for easy maintenance of the genset and easy access of the control switches and control panel reading.
Fuel piping shall be with minimum bends so that the suction head shall be within the manufacturers recommended limit. Check for lube oil level, coolant and fuel
Position of wiring loom relative to any moving part or hot surfaces, especially exhaust. Carry out a random check on control wiring connections both on the engine and within the control panel for tightness and suitability.
Ensure all defects/damages found are logged
Commissioning Procedure for Start Up
- Ensure that breaker is in open position.
- Release the emergency push button.
- Start engine by pressing the START key on the control panel.
- Fill up the Commissioning sheet’ supplied with operation and maintenance manual.
- On starting generator for first time quickly observe oil pressure, alternator voltage, Hz and Amps for abnormality and immediately stop generator.
- Check operation of emergency stop button(s).
- Re-start generator set by clearing Emergency stop fault and using START key on the control panel.
- Check RPM reading on the screen with the value on the rating plate.
- Check the phase sequence and ensure correct phase sequence.
- Close the circuit breaker.
- Ensure all protection devises are installed, are of the correct type / setting and are operating satisfactorily.
- Check operation of all shutdowns and alarms
- Press the OFF key on the control panel.
- Verify that the generator set shuts down correctly.
- Open the circuit breaker.
- To ensure auto start of genset, link the control terminals for auto start in the control panel.
- Press the AUTO key on the control panel.
- After a while switch off the genset
Health & Safety Requirements for Genset Commissioning
- All protective equipment and clothing must be worn as per site conditions.
- Safety regulations are to be observed at all times, with only test staff permitted to conduct testing.
- All incidents likely to lead to injury, or which have resulted in injury are to be reported in accordance with company health & safety regulations.
- Overalls, safety boots, eye & ear protection and gloves must be worn when necessary.
- Only experienced and trained commissioning staff familiar with this product should carry out any of the procedures within.
- If any problems occur, please consult with manual or contact supervisor for advice.
- When the panel is ready for commissioning, check the specification to ensure that the panel matches generator order number.
- Isolate the panel before any repair work or testing is to be carried out within the panel.
- Always know where the emergency stops are on the generator set package before commencing commissioning, ensure that they are accessible and are operational.
- Ensure all warning notices are on display.
- Ensure all necessary fire prevention equipment is accessible.
- Ensure all Health & Safety regulations are observed.