This method statement covers the detailed procedure to be followed for screeds/topping operation above water proofing in toilet, roof slab and raft slab. This also covers the screeding operation below tiling works in concrete slabs wherever necessary. This procedure shall be read in conjunction with contract specification wherever applicable. The purpose of this procedure is to define how screeds/toppings shall be carried out under controlled condition.
Approved shop drawings
Project Quality Plan
QA/QC– Quality Assurance and Quality Control
ITP-Inspection and Test Plan
Engineer-Stanley Consultant’s Representative
Project Director/Construction Manager:
- The Project Director/Construction Manager is responsible for the implementation of Method Statement.
- The Project Director/Construction Manager shall ensure that the key personnel are well aware of the Specification and Method Statement.
- The Project Director/Construction Manager shall ensure that all resources like Manpower, Material and Equipment are available to carry out the work as planned and without any delay or confusions.
- The Project Engineer is responsible to carry out the work as per the Method Statement, Specification and Approved Drawings.
- The Project Engineer shall ensure that the resources are available to carry out the works as scheduled.
- The Project Engineer shall be available at site full time for the execution of works as per schedule and specification.
- The QA/QC Engineer is responsible for the effective monitoring, implementation & documentation of QA/QC Procedures.
- The QA/QC Engineer shall ensure the implementation of ITP and Method Statements.
- The QA/QC Engineer shall ensure that all the approvals are available for the safe movements of works.
- The Foreman is responsible to carry out the work as per the Method Statement, Specification and Approved Drawings.
- The Foreman shall be available at site full time for the execution of works.
- The Surveyor shall ensure that all the survey related works carried out as per the approved drawings.
- The Surveyor shall ensure that setting out and level carried out with theodolite, Total station and dumpy level.
- For all survey related items he shall be available at site full time.
- Safety Officer is responsible for the effective implementation of safety procedures.
- Safety Officer shall ensure that all safety precaution is in place, and personnel on site are using the required protective equipment.
- Safety Officer shall conduct tool box meeting before the execution of works.
- The Safety officer shall be available at site full time for the execution of works.
As per Material submittals and approvals
Manpower requirements such as Project manager, Project Engineer, Foreman, Surveyor, skilled labour and helper will be available depend upon the site requirements.
- Air compressor
- Concrete Pump
- Trowel ,Tamper
- Shovel, Hand float, vibrating beam, power float
The works shall be carried out as per the approved sequence of program.
- All the related documents such as method statements, mix proportion etc. must be approved and available upon request.
- Free water shall be removed from the sub floor.
- Screed shall be laid with minimum 50 mm thick.
- Check that the Mechanical and Electrical services under screed has been completed, inspected, approved and protected as per the drawing/specification.
- Curing arrangement shall be done as per the requirements.
- For the screed works below raft slabs ensure the maintenance of dewatering system (if it is required.)
- Ensure water proofing as per the approved method and materials only.
- Level guides shall be installed at proper intervals.
- The surface of the sub-floor shall be thoroughly cleaned and prepared to ensure a good bond.
- Clean and dry the surface prior to screeds application.
- Mix materials thoroughly to a uniform consistency and use while sufficiently plastic for full compaction.
- For the screed above the water proofing it will spread and compact carefully without any damage to membrane.
- Dense screeds and toppings shall be fully compacted by vibrating beam, pan vibrator or hand as per the site condition.
- In screeds over expansion joints in base, the joints shall be filled with bitumen impregnated board joint filler placed to full depth and finished flush with surface.
- After completion of casting, enough number of workers must be available for the finishing works, cleaning and protection.
- As soon as the screeds/toppings have set it shall be covered with polythene sheeting and keep in position for required number of days as suggested by the Engineer.
- Surface hardener and sealer shall be applied if needed as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
All material control and screeds/toppings activities shall be controlled as per the approved Project Quality Plan and Quality Control Procedure.
All work places will be cleaned from waste materials and ensuring clean and healthy work environment as well as maintain free access and egress in the event of emergency.
All works shall be controlled as per the Safety procedures. Safety equipment will be worn at all times.
Safety procedures are to be considered before, through and after the completion of the work to avoid any possibility of danger to humans or the construction.