The purpose of this method statement or standard operating procedure is to define the step by step method to implement the correct practices for the pre-commissioning & commissioning of “ Chilled Water Pump” through the guidelines contained herein so as to ensure that the job execution complies with the project requirements and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
- Contract Specifications and Approved Shop Drawings
- Approved Material Submittals
- Manufacturer’s Instructions
Tools / Equipment /Testing Instruments
- Pressure Gauges
- Clamp Ammeter
- Portable Hand tools
Chilled Water Pump Commissioning Procedures
- Ensure that the pump installation is complete and mechanical completion is approved.
- Ensure that no damage occurs between mechanical completion & pre-commissioning.
- Repair all damages to the equipment paint finish.
- Ensure that the pumps are identified location wise and service wise.
- Note the details of each motor such as make, model number, frame size, KW rating and RPM.
- Check that the Chiller water & Condenser pump piping network is complete with proper valves, pressure switches and instruments in place as per final approved shop drawing.
- Ensure the pump shafts are rotated by hand freely.
- Ensure that electrical power connections and earthing is proper.
- Ensure that the field wiring is pre-tested for continuity and insulation resistance.
- Ensure that all the relevant valves are in open position. Pump discharge valve should be in closed position.
- Direction of rotation and RPM shall be checked during commissioning.
- Check the pumps are properly bolted
- Check for proper installation of pressure gauges.
- Check identification and labeling for equipment.
Pump Start Up Procedure
- Ensure that all the pre-commissioning checks are carried out successfully.
- Ensure that pipe alignment is done.
- Ensure the discharge valve is closed.
- Open the suction valve & allow water to flow into the pump.
- Start the pump and record shut – off head.
- Open the discharge valve fully & record the head of the pump.
- Check pumps for overheating by feeling it physically by hand (there is no specific criteria for checking the overheating of pump).
- Check for any undue vibration/noise (it is just physical hearing of undue vibration / noise during operation).
- Calculate the actual pump performance and plot actual performance curve.
- Check current, voltage & rpm of the motor & record the values.
- Check & ensure that the pumps shut off at low water level.
- The wiring diagram of pump controls & schematic piping shall be displayed near or inside the control panel.
Inspection & Records
- Inspection Request (IR) duly signed by the Consultant.
- Specialist Suppliers commissioning report / document.
- All safety precautions shall be followed as per the established Project Safety Plan.
- Only experienced and skilled technicians shall be engaged for carrying out Start-up and Commissioning of “Chilled Water ump”.
- Safety Guards shall be in place and secured prior to start-up.
- Cable test reports shall be verified prior to energisation.
- Appropriate Warning signs and tapes shall be placed during start-up and commissioning as required.
- All PPE shall be worn as appropriate according to the nature of the job.
- Work area shall be maintained neat and clean.
- Schedule of Chilled Water Pumps
- Pre-Commissioning check list for Chilled Water Pumps
- Commissioning check list for Chilled Water Pumps
- Chilled Water Pump Schematic diagram.