1. PURPOSE: To ensure that the Gypsum Board Suspended Ceiling and related activities are executed safely and in accordance with the contract requirements and that all quality assurance / control activities are conducted in a systematic manner. To ensure that works are inspected, conformance is verified and documented.
2. SCOPE: This procedure is applicable to the following works associated with the project for the installation of the suspended ceiling as per approved shop drawings.
3.1 The Project Manager shall be responsible for the overall implementation of this procedure, ensuring the works described in this statement are conducted to required codes, standards and best practices in conformance with approved drawings and specifications.
3.2 Site Engineer along with Surveyor / Foreman will ensure that the works are carried out in accordance with the specifications, approved drawings and in accordance with this method statement
3.3 QA/QC Engineer shall ensure that the works are carried out in accordance with the project’s requirement. He shall be also responsible for the implementation of related QA/QC works as detailed and as required in this procedure
3.4 HSE Inspector / Safety Officer shall ensure implementation of all safety procedures and regulations as per our HSE Plan and in accordance with the safety plan set by contractor, he shall conduct training and tool box talks on the hazards, dangers and controls before commencement of works. He shall observe and ensure that Abu Dhabi regulations are complied with.
3.5 Sustainability Manager: shall oversee the Environmental & Sustainability controls and measures of the installation process. Construction practices shall be in conformance with project CEMP, the manufacturer’s standards and to the satisfaction of the projects Environmental Managers. Sustainable and Environmental measures pertaining to this installation are briefly outlined in section 5.3 of this Method statement.
Below is the equipment involved in the subject works:-
- Knives: Knives used must be of good quality and for the required job, hand gloves to be used
- Screw drivers
- Sand paper
- Level tools (Laser level)
The capacity / size of the above equipment shall be judged in accordance with site conditions, requirements, and availability at the time of execution.
All the above tools or equipment will be operated by skilled labors, and will be checked and maintained regularly by our supervisor.
- Safe Work Plan
- The forklift will be use for lifting of material, safe for its use
- The operator has a valid license to operate.
- Slings have been identified and are correctly certified.
- A toolbox talk is conducted prior to the start of the work, in accordance with procedure
- One member of the erection crew will be assigned as banks man and shall be suitably trained by supplier for the task.
- Only the banks man will give instructions to the operator.
- All required materials will be brought to the site location.
- Forklift operations will be under the control of the banks man who will have clear visual contact at all times with the equipment.
- Ensure all Personal Protection Equipments like Steel Toe Safety Shoes. Safety helmets,
- Goggle, Safety reflective jacket, Safety Belt is worn prior to start of work
- The work Involves working at a height of 1.8 mtrs from Floor Level all the time should wear full body safety harness.
- All safety precautions to be taken when working at heights. Full body Safety harness to be strapped at all times.
- Erection of scaffolding shall be by the certified scaffolders.
- All electrical cable shall be color coded by the competent person with monthly color coding.
- Lighting shall be provide in the night shift activities.6. WORK PROCEDURE
Before start of works the following works need to be completed and assessed by the QAQC engineer from all concerned parties.
• Plaster works to walls up to the required height
• Stucco and primer work should be done to the required height
• All M.E.P woks of first fix services should be completed
• Protection of flooring
Before starting of the first fix services of false ceiling clearance will be obtained from the contractor, consultant and MEP sub contractor as the first fix services of M.E.P above the false ceiling to be
completed and approved.
An area for mock up will be prepared for inspection and approval before proceeding with the overall installation.
QAQC procedures shall be followed, WIR shall be raised, inspections shall be carried out at different work tiers and clearances shall be obtained at progressive levels as mentioned therein.
Fixing of Suspension Grid:
- I angles as per approved materials and section details of false ceilings will be fixed on level markings with self taping screws and royal plugs @ every 400mm c/c and at 100mm near the wall corners and joints of angles
- Vertical support of primary channels or 3.5mm dia G.I wire with approved materials and section details will be fixed to concrete slab @ 1000mm c/c and 300mm near the walls with 6mm dia concrete plugs or rivets and extra supports should be provided near the A/C duct if required
- Horizontal channels will then be fixed to vertical channels with self taping screw
- For areas where the suspension height is much more than typical like the toilets, the C-channels 38X10mm. shall be used as vertical support, the channels shall be fixed to the slab with high screws from fisher supporting up to a weight of 50 kg per fix.
- Suspension system of the gypsum board ceiling should not be in direct contact with M.E.P. services especially A/C ducts.
Fixing of Gypsum Board:
Before starting of the Gypsum Board fixing services of false ceiling clearance will be obtained by the
contractor, consultant and M.E.P sub contractor, services of M.E.P above the false ceiling to be completed and approved as well inspection of the suspension frame of false ceilings should be carried out by the consultant and should be rectified to comments if given by them.
- Two layers of Gypsum plaster board sheet as approved should be fixed to furring channels with self taping screws at every 100mm c/c and G.I angles @ the perimeter of walls.
- Extra furring channels should be provided at the joints of Gypsum plaster boards to its shorter lengths and cut piece joints if required.
- Extra supports should be provided around access panel..Finishing of Gypsum Board:
Before start of the finish works including filler and paint, services of false ceiling marking will be made by M.E.P sub contractor as per approved shop drawings for all the electrical points, A/C supply and return air diffuser position, sprinkler points and position of access panel as per approved coordinated drawings and inspection by the consultant and contractor to be obtained for final approval of cutting, gypsum boards shall be cut mechanically
- Peel off the paper at the square edge of the boards
- Apply joint filler in all the joints to fill the gaps
- Apply joint filler over the mesh and screw positions in level of the boards and leave it to get dry.
- The ceiling shall be finished with an approved paint, minimum two coats of paint on approved dry wall primer. QAQC engineer will review surface preparation before start of final finishing and painting works.
- The ceiling shall be paint finish, a primer-stucco-paint finish coat shall be done in compliance with manufacturers standards, and the ceiling shall be properly cleaned prior to start of paint finish.
- Application of stucco & paint coat layers shall be in different directions.
Refer attached Technical Data Sheets for finishing materials application, manufacturers recommended application standards shall be followed.
Sustainability and Environmental Measures:
The materials in the installation include gypsum plaster board on a GI channels for the supporting grid, paint and primer coat finish.
Special care needs to be taken in the storing and use of Gypsum Boards considering the humidity and temperature in Abu Dhabi. Ideally to be stored in air-conditioned environment, in the absence of which the material needs to be covered by a tarpaulin at all times.
Considering the fragility of the material especially around its edges, care should be taken in handling and storage so as to avoid impacts on the edges.
Energy use will mostly be mostly limited to hand tools (drills, cutting machines etc), with material handling and waste management forming the major concerns for environmental control.
The paints are preapproved and fall within an acceptable VOC limit, painting works shall conform to the product’s technical data sheet.
As standard practice the following environmental friendly precautionary measures shall be taken, while conducting the work as described in this statement, workers shall be trained and/ or allocated for conducting the same as necessitated:
- Ensure spill kits are available nearby all fueling activities.
- Ensuring spills are handled effectively and recorded as regulated by the project CEMP and the product MSDS.
- Cans, containers containing fuel, chemicals, adhesives, paints etc, shall be kept closed while not in use, or under drip trays if required.
- Due diligence is shown in material handling, avoiding damage and waste creation.
- Due diligence shall be shown for waste reduction, with possible reuse if applicable.
- Due diligence shall be shown for waste disposal; ensuring waste is segregated and disposed off in allocated dumpsters.
- Energy saving methods will be sought, ensuring equipments and/or generators are turned off while not in use.
- Due diligence is shown in the use of water.
- Chemicals and hazardous wastes are handled and disposed in accordance with the product MSDS and CEMP requirements.
7. ACCESS & EGRESS
To maintain proper access and egress, sufficient ladders are to be provided for safe work. The work shall be executed as per approved Methods statement & Shop drawings. Housekeeping on daily basis.
- Product Technical Data Sheets
- Inspection Test Requests for the same
- Inspection Checklists
Job Hazard Analysis