Pre-commissioning checks prior to start-up – Mechanical Checks
Check and inspect the installation of Water Pumps is complete, verify the installation as per approved drawings. Verify compliance to the attached manufacturer’s installation instructions. Obtain installation certification from manufacturer or their authorized representative. Check and ensure adequate clearance available for service and maintenance of water pumps and motors.
Check the installation is coordinated with other services. Ensure the shipping bolts / chambers are removed. Check all nuts, bolts, screws, fasteners etc., are fixed and tightened as required. Ensure the piping is pressure tested. Verify test certificates. Check all piping connections are complete at pumps, flow meter and pressure relief line including flexible connections where applicable.
Check and ensure the domestic water piping is flushed and cleaned. Check the pump alignment is completed as per manufacturer’s instructions. Check and verify the water level in the water tank is full. Check and ensure safety guards are in place and secure. Adjust desired cut-in and cut off pressure as pre requirements.
Rotate the pump manually and ensure free and smooth rotation. Ensure the pumps are cleaned prior to start up and all identification labels and tags are in place.
Pre-commissioning checks prior to start-up – Electrical Checks
Check all power cabling and control wiring is completed and dressed neatly. Check the power isolator is fixed close to the pump motor for emergency stop and power isolation, as per approved drawings/details. Check all terminations are completed and tightened as required. Check the grounding connections are completed and tightened as required. Ensure the overload protections are set correctly as per the pump motor load current. Ensure all identification tags and labeling works are complete.
Testing & Commissioning Procedure
- After satisfactorily installation & static checks for the domestic Water Booster Pumps, commissioning shall commence.
- Ensure system is full & vented including the water tanks.
- Power shall be available at the MCC & tested by electrical team as per MCC Approved Commissioning Method Statement. Record shall be available.
- Start the Water Booster Pumps with the system discharge valve 50% open or as instructed by the consultant. Establish that there is no excess vibration and the pump is running satisfactorily.
- Slowly open the discharge valve to fully open while monitoring running currents.
- Record the Water Booster Pumps running current, speeds, pressure & check for smooth pump operation.
- Check tank float switch interlocks operates to prevent dry running of Water Booster Pumps and that the correct level/ pressure are set.
- Simulate the following faults & test output with a multimeter for the following points: Run, Trip Low Level Alarms for Water Booster Pumps & Run, Trip, Low Level Alarms and auto Status / BMS enable for the transfer pumps.
- After successful commissioning of domestic water pump set, the results will be recorded on the test sheets & shall be verified & accepted by the consultant.
Alternative Procedure for Pump Testing & Commissioning
Following to be ensured before functional Performance Test of the pumps.
Pump(s) in place, grouted, vibration isolation devices functional, pump alignment and rotation verified. Power available with motor protection, safeties, control system contactors and interlocks functional.
Heater water/supply piping system pressure tested, cleaned, chemical water treatment completed and report submitted.
Pressure and temperature gauges installed and functional. Water balance complete with design maximum flow and pressure obtained, and report submitted.
Testing & Commissioning Of Pump Set
Confirm that the system is completely filled with water:
- Tighten the foundation bolts properly. Check the suction line connection in order to avoid drawing of air into the pump.
- Open the suction valve slowly, and start the pump by opening the discharge valve. Observe any leakage in the pump.
- After few minutes of operation note the pressure reading at both suction and discharge sides.
- Measure the RPM / speed of the pump motor using the tachometer.
- Note down the amperes of the motor on both load and off load positions.
- Check and record the motor temperature and make sure the motor is not heating up and values are in acceptable limits.
Contractor shall provide all suitably qualified personnel to assist as required to perform Functional Performance Tests.
Functional Performance Test:
Contractor shall demonstrate operation of pump(s) per specification including the following:
- Activate pump start using control system command.
- Verify pressure drop across strainer, verify strainer is clean. Verify pump inlet/outlet pressure reading, compare to test and balance report, pump design conditions, and pump manufacturer’s performance data. Operate pump(s) at shutoff, 50 % and 100 % flow. Plot test readings on pump curve, verify specified flow is obtained.
- Verify motor amperage per phase and voltage phase-to-phase and phase-to-ground.
- Check and report any unusual vibration, noise, etc.
If specified equipment performance is not verified, the General Contractor shall see that corrections are made and reschedule functional performance test as soon as possible after corrective work is completed.
Reports: Submit reports of final functional performance test for acceptance by the consultant engineer.
Inspection & Testing Plan
All the works shall be inspected in accordance to the inspection & testing plan and inspection checklists. Results of inspection & testing shall be recorded on the inspection checklist forms.