The purpose of this procedure is to define the step by step method to implement the correct practices for the pre-commissioning & commissioning of “Split Unit” through the guidelines contained herein so as to ensure that the job execution complies with the project requirements and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
- Contract Specifications and Approved Shop Drawings
- Approved Material Submittals
- Manufacturer’s Instructions
Tools / Equipment /Testing Instruments
- Digital Multimeter
- Clamp Meter
- Flow Hood Kit
- Digital Thermometer
- In general, it shall be ensured by Site Engineer that product manufacturer’s recommendations are followed and shall be monitored by Project engineer.
- The Project Engineer shall further oversee the Pre-commissioning and commissioning activity as per the approved method statement for Start-up and Commissioning of Split Units.
- The Split Units shall be tested under direct supervision of manufacturer / local dealer’s representatives.
Split Unit Commissioning Procedure
- Carefully inspect the unit for any physical damages / dents.
- Check and ensure the shipping bolts / clamps are removed.
- Check tightness of all nuts / bolts, screws, fasteners, rubber vibration isolators etc. as applicable
- Check the piping connections as per approved drawings.
- Check the fan rotation freely by hand and the direction of rotations on initial startup.
- Align the Unit in the direction of drain to maintain the gravity slope.
- Ensure the connected cables have been tested and verify the test reports.
- Check all terminations are complete and tightened as required.
- Check the cabling / wiring including grounding is completed and dressed neatly for thermostat.
- Ensure all identification and labeling is completed.
- Check the isolator is fixed close to the Split Units for emergency power shut-down.
Start Up and Test Preparation
- Check the line voltage before energizing the power
- Switch ON the power.
- Verify for the proper operation of the Split Units motor.
- Measure the current drawn (amperage) by Split Units and record the same.
- Verify proper operation of the thermostat, supply air temperature.
- Check for any abnormal noise and vibration on startup. Rectify as / if required.
- After about an hour’s operation, check that all nuts / bolts, screws, clamps etc. are tight and secure for external units.
- Record the Split Unit/External Unit name plate data in the commissioning format.
- Record the ampere / voltage drawn by the compressor / fan of the outdoor unit.
- Record the refrigerant pressure of the outdoor unit.
- Ensure it is within the limits as per the Ambient temperature.
- Ensure compliance to the manufacturer’s instruction as applicable.
Health & Safety Requirements
- All safety precautions shall be followed as per the established Project Safety Plan.
- Only experienced and skilled technicians shall be engaged for carrying out Start-up and Commissioning of Split Units.
- Safety Guards shall be in place and secured prior to start-up.
- Cable test reports shall be verified prior to energisation.
- Appropriate Warning signs and tapes shall be placed during start-up and commissioning as required.
- All PPE shall be worn as appropriate according to the nature of the job.
- Work area shall be maintained neat and clean.