Below is the general procedure or Method Statement For Testing & Commissioning Of Laboratory Gas System.
- Tool box
- Hand Tools
- Steel cutting Chop-saw
- Measuring tape
- Pressure testing gauges
- Wire brush
- Drill machine
- Grinding Disc
- Screw driver (flat & set)
- Fix spanner (4mm to 32 mm)
- Adjustable spanner
- Safety requirements tools such as safety shoes, safety helmet, safety glasses, fluorescent vest, and safety gloves to ensure maximum ability of safe work and dust mask when required.
- Gas Cylinder
- Access Ladder
- Orbit Welding machine and accessories
- Cutting & Bending machine
- Instrumentation tool
Testing & Commissioning Procedure
After the satisfactory installation checks on the installation of Laboratory Gas System; Commissioning will commence. The results shall be recorded on the commissioning test report and the commissioning test sheet. Test shall compromise as follows:
- Subject to the formal acceptance of the consultant, the gas installations may be progressed in sections with respect to testing. Any balance works will be completed or rectified as applicable and re-tested before continuing to the next stage of testing.
- Nitrogen shall be used for the purpose of testing & purging and the like. At no circumstances, industrial air shall be accepted for the purpose of testing or purging.
- Open all the valves in between the piping section, where the test has to be carried out and connect this section to the Nitrogen cylinder.
- The system(s) will be fully charged with Nitrogen and the cylinder valve closed and the cylinder disconnected.
- The test pressure 1.5 times of the design pressure shall be held for a minimum of 24 hours, or as directed by the consultant.
- Leakage can be identified by means of soap solution applied to weld joints, valves, connections etc.
- All leaks will be rectified and test repeated until the pressure can be held for 24 hours. Once the pressure is found holding for the set period, the system is ready to be connected to the equipments.
- The gas manifolds are to be connected to the pipe system and the leak checks for the connected joints to be carried out at operating pressures.
- After commissioning has done, results will be recorded on the Check list with acceptance & approval signature by the company.
Gas Control Panel
- Switch ON the power to the Main Gas Control Panel of each zone panel and check the following functions:
Normal Operation of the Gas Control Panel
- During normal operation, the LED for POWER on the luminous band and GAS VALVE ON indicates on the Indicator panel (HMI panel) and the gas solenoid valves will be energized.
Operation of the FAULT Indications
- Disconnect the main power supply (240V AC) & confirm that the AC-FAIL indicates on the HMI panel and now the gas panel will work on backup battery (Approx. for 2 hrs).
- Connect back the main power supply (240VAC) and confirm indication is normal on HMI panel.
- Disconnect the battery backup (24V DC) & confirm the DC-FAIL indicates on the HMI panel and gas panel will work on the main power.
- Create an open circuit in any of the detector cabling and confirm the operation of FAULT LED on the indication cards, to verify the monitoring of the feed lines and power to the gas detector.
Operation of the Gas System Shut Down
- Push the EMERGENCY STOP key switch on the front of the panel door and confirm that the sounder strobe operates, the GAS VALVE OFF indicates on HMI panel and the gas solenoid valve will get de-energized.
- Press RESET button on the front panel door to acknowledge the above alarm and mute the sounder strobe.
- Release the EMERGENCY KEY SWITCH and confirm the GAS VALVE ON indicates on the HMI panel and the gas solenoid valve will get energized.
Operational Test of the F.A.P. Interlink / Interface
- Check all cables and wiring connection from Gas Control Panel to the zone F.A.P is done.
- Simulate any fire alarm detector of the zone; a fire signal through normally open contact of the fire panel is send to gas panel. Confirm that the gas solenoid valve is de-energized, GAS VALVE OFF and FIRE indicates on the Gas Control Panel (HMI panel).
- Restore the Gas Control Panel by restoring the FAP to normal.
Gas Leak Detection System
Operational Test of the Gas Detection System
- Activate any of the gas detectors inside the laboratory/corridor by giving gas and confirm that the luminous band on the corresponding indication card of the Gas Panel displays the prevailing gas concentration of each individual zone.
- Once the measured gas concentration exceeds preset point of Alarm-1 (15% E.L.) indicated in the gas panel, confirm that the sounder strobe operates and Alarm-1 LED on the indication card glows.
- As soon as the measured value exceeds preset point of Alarm-2 (30% E.L.), confirm that the sounder strobe operates, Alarm-2 LED on the indication card of the gas panel glows, gas solenoid valve gets de-energized, indication for GAS VALVE OFF glows.
- Press RESET button in the panel door to acknowledge the above alarms and to mute the sounder strobe.
- The system can be restored to Normal Operation by pressing the RESET button once again as soon as the gas concentration falls below Alarm-2 set limit (30% E.L.)
- Prior to confirming the completion of the commissioning of the Gas Leak Detection System, set the Gas Control Panel in normal condition.
- Check all the sensor of the system as per the above procedure and complete the test sheet attached.
- Ensure that the detector has been connected to the mains.
- Spray test gas into the vents on the front panel of the detector until the RED LED switches ON and the buzzer sounds intermittently.
- Continue to spray the test gas, after around 15 seconds the relay is activated and closes the solenoid valve.
- Stop spraying the test gas into the detector vents and wait for a few seconds. The detector returns to normal operation and all alarm signals will be reset. The relay is deactivated.
- The solenoid valves in the ZV’s are tested in combination with the Building ZAP Panel.
- Charge the N2 gas from the manifold by energizing the solenoid valve to the associated piping.
- The valves will be in the open position and will be passing the N2 gas through it until the pressure in the system is achieved.
- Activate the gas detector by spraying gas and confirm that the luminous band on the corresponding indication card of the Gas Panel for the building displays the prevailing gas concentration of the zone.
- When the leak is sensed by the gas detector, the Gas Panel calls for a “System Emergency Shut Down”, the solenoid valve will be de- energized and it will be shut down.
- The system can be restored to Normal Operation by pressing the RESET button in the Gas Control Panel of the building.
Gas Alarm Panel
- Check all cables and wiring connection from Gas alarm Panel to the F.A.P is done.
- Switch on the Gas Alarm panel
- Gas cylinder is low i.e.: on reserve or low pressure, indicator will remain lit
- To prove system on normal pressure cylinder, turn off cylinder and allow pressure to fall. The alarm should sound and the Reserve lamp will light followed bt the Low pressure lamp. Mute the alarm with the mute button, this stops the alarm, but the light will remain on until cylinder is turned back on
- Test all channels as above