A dropped ceiling or false ceiling is a secondary ceiling, hung below the main (structural) ceiling. It may also be referred to as a drop ceiling, T-bar ceiling, false ceiling, suspended ceiling, grid ceiling, drop in ceiling, or drop out ceiling and is a staple of modern construction and architecture in both residential and commercial applications.
How To Install False Ceiling Materials
A typical dropped false ceiling consists of a grid-work of metal channels in the shape of an upside-down “T”, suspended on wires from the overhead structure. These channels snap together in a regularly spaced pattern of cells. Each cell is then filled with lightweight ceiling tiles or “panels” which simply drop into the grid. The primary grid types are “Standard 1″ (15/16 face), Slimline (9/16” grid), and concealed grid.
In the United States the cell size in the false ceiling suspension grids is typically either 2 ft × 2 ft or 2 ft × 4 ft and the ceiling tiles are the same size. In Europe the cell size in the suspension grids is 600×600 mm, while the ceiling tiles are slightly smaller at 595mm x 595mm or 595mm x 1195mm.
Equipment Required For Installation of Suspended false Ceilings Materials
- Leveling Instruments
- Line dory
- Cutting Tool
- Measuring tape
- Spirit level
- Screw driver
- Drilling Machine
- Wire Cutter
- Nail Gun with cartridge
- Mobile scaffolds
Preparatory Works for false ceiling
- Ensure that materials, samples, shop drawing and method statement for the installation of false ceiling is submitted and approved by the Engineer.
- Aluminum tiles plain and perforated and gypsum plaster tiles of specified type and thickness shall be used.
- Mock up of suspended false ceiling systems shall be arranged at location designated by the client for the final approval.
- Approved Mock Up and sample shall be available at site and the materials delivered to site shall be checked with respect to the approved sample.
- Ensure materials delivered in original packaging, bearing name of manufacturer and product.
- Ensure that materials are stored in an enclosed area and protected from damages.
- Ensure that Plaster works and painting work shall be done up to the required height.
- Verify Layout of false ceiling tiles showing the position of cut tiles, pattern, etc are approved by the Engineer.
- Ensure that setting out of fixing of MEP services and ceiling suspension system shall be similarly coordinated.
- Ensure that MEP services have been installed and clearance obtained from the concerned department.
- Proper working platform shall be provided for the safe access of works.
FALSE CEILING INSTALLATION STEPS
- False Ceiling height in each area shall be marked in relation to the elevation of bench marks & transferred by water level
- Powder coated angles as per approved materials and section details of false ceilings will be fixed on level markings with screws and plugs
- The grids shall be laid out as per reflected ceiling layout.
- All setting out shall be carried out according to the working / shop drawing.
- The hangers will be installed according to spacing and level required.
- Main –T-sections as per approved materials will then be tied to hangers at sufficient intervals
- Cross T-BAR will then be fixed in between all the Main-T-sections to its lock position perpendicular to it at sufficient intervals
- Leveling shall be carried out to prevent any subsequent download movement.
- During these installation process MEP items installed were to be taken care, ensuring no damages.
- Where hangers cannot be fixed at the recommended spacing due to the presence of services, equipment or other obstructions, a sub-grid of appropriate span & performance shall be used with prior permission from the Customer.
- It shall be securely supported to prevent lateral movement.
- Access panels and MEP opening location to be determined and set according to approved shop drawings details.
- MEP clearance shall be obtained prior to commencing ceiling tile /gypsum board works.
- Upon completion of framing work including final adjustment to ensure entire suspension is level, the ceiling boards were then be fixed up at proper intervals.
- Air terminal devices like grills or similar equipment shall be incorporated in the ceiling as specified.
- After ensuring the ceiling boards/tiles were installed accordingly and acceptable flatness, sealing up of joints will proceed.
- Final inspection for the false ceiling works will be made by the Engineer and contractor and to be rectified to any comments given by them.